Saturday, June 20, 2009

Canvassing Experiences (so far)

Cambridge Team - Cambridge

Yesterday we completed our first day of Mass Climate Summer canvassing after our first two days of canvassing for CEA. I must admit that coming into this program, I was extremely nervous to canvas. If anyone knows me well (or at least knew me before this program), you know that I am a pretty reserved and shy person when first talking to and meeting strangers. In fact I almost will never answer the phone if I don't know who it is calling on the other end (just ask my family). Last week at our training in Deerfield, we went out one night to do a short "practice" canvass in nearby Greenfield, and I was absolutely terrified. I kept thinking of how I react to people coming up to my door that I don't know (I don't even answer it usually), but I got up the courage to start knocking on the doors and an amazing thing happened. When we were done, I was just so pumped and excited. Talking to people and connecting with those that really care about this issue, gaining their support and realizing how the tides are turning, how people are now standing up and coming together to help pull the world out of the deep pit that we have dug for ourselves, was so invigorating. If I were going around door-to-door trying to sell people some junk that they really do not need, like knives or something, I would feel like a total jerk for trying to exploit them out of their money. But we aren't asking for money, we are trying to connect people and empower them to speak out and get involved in fixing this problem. We are not exploiting them, but we are joining together to help us all, and this is something I believe in so much that I can do this work that otherwise would be so difficult for me. I was so pumped and excited that I flew up that big hill back to Woolman's (you all remember that hill!) and I was excited about the work we were about to continue for the rest of the summer and as long as this problem exists. I'm proud to say that yesterday I knocked on 81 strangers doors and again felt that same excitement and hope connecting with people who care about changing the world.

Keep up the good work!
-Keane

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers