Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lessons from Massachusetts

Cross-Posted with It's Getting Hot in Here

For the past two months, I've been spreading the word about the climate emergency as part of Mass Powershift's Massachusetts Climate Summer, a group of student volunteers biking around the state.  (You might have already read about us!)  We've been in cities and towns, past beaches and through slums, under the rain and sun, and on ferries, trains, and subways. We canvass every weekday, not asking for money, but building support for a movement and engaging leaders. And since our project is almost through, I thought I'd share some of the lessons we've learned during our time in the Commonwealth.  First, I'll talk about the canvassing experience, and then I'd like to share some impressions about getting the message across.

What is it like going door-to-door? Well, as anyone with canvass experience can tell you, it can be difficult.  But I've found that as soon as I tell folks, “we're not fundraising” or “there's no money involved” they loosen up, and begin to seriously listen to me.  I'm not some kid with a fundraising script; I'm a volunteer, giving my time because I care about climate change.  The message is clear: they should care too.  Our efforts have been very successful - 4,000+ signatures thus far.  I'd suggest that this sort of canvassing holds good potential for our movement across the country.

What does real America think about climate change, and how do they respond to it? First, the bad news: there is a lot of work to be done.  Many people can't be bothered to think about climate change. If they are aware of it, it is on a very superficial level – an understanding that driving a Prius is good and SUVs are not (to which I respond, “why not ride your bike?") – and it's thought of as something that does not concern them, that they cannot change.  At one house, a husband came to the door as his wife was signing our petition, and she told him it was about “climate control.”  It's going to take much more effort to get the message through to the crowd that gets all their news from TV

I'm reminded of a phrase I picked up from the Awakening the Dreamer, Changing the Dream symposium, which we have been presenting in each town.  The phrase is from Maude Barlow - "the right not to know."  It's the feeling that allows some people to "check out" and ignore the world's issues.  She summarizes it:
"I don’t have to know about poverty, I don’t have to know about racism, I don’t have to know about environmental degradation or environmental justice or injustice because it’s not me, I’ve got my life and I’ve got my family and I can do what I want."
Especially in certain affluent neighborhoods, this feeling is tangible in the way people occasionally react – as though I'm somehow bothering them by reminding them that our way of life is affecting the climate, harming the poor, indebting our children.  What can we do?  We need to keep trying, but I've also come to realize that my efforts are better spent elsewhere .  And while there are some folks (even in Massachusetts!) who aren't "on the same page" about climate change, our very presence – as students, as volunteers, as young people doing their civic duty – makes an impression on doubters, gets them to think again, drives them to learn more.  Some of them even have CFLs in their porch lights!

The good news? People really respond to the Repower America goals on our petitions: 100% clean electricity in 10 years. Whether a retired nuclear power plant worker, a third-grade teacher, a national park ranger, or a building contractor, almost everyone "gets it" - that is, they understand that we're burning too much coal and oil, and we have abundant alternatives here that are a good solution.  Even those that don't know the terminology, who don't read or listen to the news, who have never thought about the greenhouse effect – all these people understand that polluting is bad, and solar and wind power make sense, and they may even have some inkling that we're affecting the global climate system.  And they've all signed.  Whatever their reasons for signing our petition, I'm glad that they are joining us.

Beyond that, we've found networks of engaged citizens who are educated on these issues, who understand that we need to live more sustainably.  These folks are already involved in other issues - civic education, peace rallies, community health and social services, recycling, and local food – and they want to know what should be done about climate change.  Yes, it's important to change your light bulbs, insulate your house, and begin to think about personal sustainability.  But it is essential to change the laws, pressure your legislators, and give our industrial emitters a wake-up call - and before Copenhagen!  These people immediately understand the power of an October 24th action, and with their help we'll keep pressure on as we move forward into the fall.  These are the folks who give me hope, who have really powered this program by helping us find places to stay, groups to talk to, and supporters along the way.  It's great to see that there are so many different roles to play, and each of us can find one that engages our strengths. 

To sum up, I've learned that people in Massachusetts mostly understand the need for clean electricity, and want to do something about it.  Our job has been to empower them.

We're finishing up soon, with a big rally in Boston.  But the work is not done.  Of course, we need to continue educating the public, presenting a credible message, explaining why climate change matters.  And we need to continue to strive for sustainability, both personal and institutional.

More importantly, though, we need to strengthen the movement to push government in the right direction!  The last presidential election showed what 1.2 million volunteers can do - and it's more than just clicking and donating.   We all need to see people not as just names on mailing lists with checkbooks, but as individuals with ideas, energy, and commitment to offer.  By channeling that energy, we inspire more and more action, rather than just asking for a click on an online petition.  There's a need for boots on the ground, for voices that are concerned, for people to be engaged.  And that's why I think the Mass Climate Summer model is a good one, and I hope you can use your energy to build change, starting right in your neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers